Multi-access edge computing is a relatively new technology discussed much in conjunction with the rollout of 5G networks. In fact, the technology was born out of the extensive infrastructure already in place and still growing, thanks to the telecom networks, smartphone companies, and other edge devices. Here is a guide to understanding the basics of multi-access edge computing and its applications for the uninitiated.
What is Multi-Access Edge Computing (MEC)?
Formerly known as mobile edge computing, Multi-Access Edge Computing (MEC) is a network architecture concept that brings technology resources such as cloud computing and IT service capabilities closer to the edge of networks, closer to the end-user. This means that along with running applications, tasks such as data processing and storage in MEC can happen at the edge itself, instead of distant data centers, thereby reducing latency, network congestion, and bandwidth usage significantly.آ
MEC works closely with IT and telecommunications networks. It enables cellular operators to integrate Radio Access Networks (RAN) to third parties such as app developers and content providers. It also supports multi-tenant run time and hosting for applications.
Benefits and Applications of Multi-Access Edge Computing
Multi-access edge computing provides many tangible benefits for businesses and industries. Here is a look at three significant advantages of the technology.
- Super-low latencyآ آ – Traditional networking and data processing via centralized clouds had latency issues. With processing and storage happening on the edge, latency comes down from about 100 milliseconds with 3G to around one millisecond in 5G and Edge.آ
- Improved Potential for the Internet of Things (IoT)آ – Processing that usually takes place in IoT devices can now happen in the cloud closer to the device. This reduces the energy and performance demands in IoT devices, allowing for sustained application performance.
- Data localizationآ – Since data is processed right where it is created, businesses and enterprises can act on it and make decisions then and there. This benefit can ensure improved performance, increased security since data isnâ€™t going off-premise, and more contextually aware applications.
These benefits of MEC have many applications for industries and enterprises. We mentioned earlier that 5G brings in super-low latency to MEC. Combined, the benefits of both these technologies are much more – core to core virtualization, increased performance, extensive reach, are some examples. Here are some of the significant applications where capabilities of both MEC and 5G are harnessed across different industries currently.آ
- Computational offloading
- Big data analytics
- Faster machine communication
- Augmented/Virtual Realities (AR &VR)
- Real-time content delivery
- Business Applications
- Collaborative computing
- Quality assurance
- Software development
- Edge video cachingآ
- Automated cars with real-time assistance,
- Smart venues and enterprises
- Smart gridsآ
Towards the Future with MEC, 5G, and VEXXHOST Cloud
As we have seen, multi-access edge computing has numerous advantages and applications and is heralding a new future for technology and daily lives as a whole. Even with this advanced tech, enterprises need a robust infrastructure to support the implementation of MEC. At VEXXHOST, we provide the right cloud platform for enterprises to build their business with the assistance of rapidly evolving technology. We help companies across numerous industries get enterprise-grade clouds without vendor lock-ins or licensing fees. Our OpenStack-based cloud solutions, including dedicated and highly secureآ private cloudآ environments, are capable of realizing a companyâ€™s operational objectives with ease.آ
Speaking of private clouds, you can now run on a fully agile and customized cloud from VEXXHOST, with no licensing fees and smooth 2-week migration. In fact, weâ€™re ready to put our money where our mouth is. Weâ€™re so confident in being able to save you at least 20% or more on your current cloud infrastructure expenditure that if proven wrong- weâ€™ll give you $1,000 credit to our public cloud.آ آ
Excited?آ Find out more.آ